Trying to do sound absorbing in room - getting ringing sound

The first and by far the most important things about audio production start here.

Trying to do sound absorbing in room - getting ringing sound

Postby David_Ford » November 24th, 2016, 2:14 pm

Hi all,

Newbie here. I've just hung some corrugated foam mattress covers on the wall of this smaller room I'm converting to a studio. When I sing directly at them, pretty good lack of echo, etc. In a back wall I've hung some heavy fabric. I've done nothing with the ceiling yet.

When I sing at a high volume in there, when I stop, I hear a high-ish frequency, low volume ringing, and it seems to be coming from up near the ceiling. It continues for a second or two. It could almost be compared to the sound of tinnitus. Sort of one frequency, high pitched thing. It might very slightly have a metallic tone to it, but it's pretty smooth.

When I get out in my other rooms, with vaulted ceilings, I get a louder metallic ring when I do that same thing.

I'm guessing the answer is "treat the ceiling", but I would like to know if this is a common phenomena and my route of attack is going to get me there.

Thanks.
David_Ford

Liked in: 0 post

Advertisement

Blue Bear Sound - Bear Mixing

Re: Trying to do sound absorbing in room - getting ringing s

Postby MASSIVE Mastering » November 25th, 2016, 12:34 am

Comb filtering -- Yes, common. Mattress covers and fabric will only have minimal impact. Corners, all the way up, are the big issue. Especially if the room is square or square-ish...
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering, LLC - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA

jimtroll likes this post.
MASSIVE Mastering

Liked in: 163 posts

Postby SoundAssured » February 1st, 2018, 2:28 pm

David, sorry to hear you are struggling with problematic echoes. You can enhance the quality of your recordings without breaking the bank by using some sound absorbing acoustic foam panels or bass traps. MASSIVE mastering was correct that mattress covers and fabric will have minimal impact. We would recommend starting with spot treating the top of the corners of the room by the ceiling. You may be able to take care of the echoes with just 6-12 square feet of foam or a couple bass traps. You can always add more if needed so don't buy a ton to start... Feel free to use the 10% off code SAVEMONEY at our website. www.soundassured.com
SoundAssured

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Farview » February 2nd, 2018, 8:36 am

Spam aside, acoustic foam is nearly useless at low frequencies. So deadening a room with foam will just move the problem around. Fiberglass bass traps are the way to go. If you are at all handy, you can build them yourself.
Jason "Jay" Walsh
www.farviewrecording.com
Farview

Liked in: 113 posts

Return to Monitoring, Placement, Room Treatment