EQ/compressor/EQ?

Putting all those sounds together -- Plugs and processing, effects, busses, aux sends, etc.

EQ/compressor/EQ?

Postby ditto » January 5th, 2015, 11:03 pm

Let's say you're EQing a track with both cuts and boosts. Okay, so start with a lowcut filter and then maybe put a parametric on the lowmids to trough out just a bit there to get rid of the dark. You'd do all this before the compressor, because if you put the compressor first in the chain, all that un-EQ'ed low stuff would trigger the compressor like crazy, and you don't want it working on that low stuff because you don't even want that low stuff there at all. So you EQ it first, then compress it to rein it in a bit. Okay, so let's say you wanted to add a high shelf. You'd put an EQ in the chain *after* the compressor, right? Why? Well, because there's no point in boosting the highs if they're being followed by a compressor that's just gonna mash 'em.

EQ for the cuts, then compressor, then EQ for the boosts.

No?
I am all about the clean install. CF

May I ask what a skippy is??? Michiemasha
ditto

Liked in: 93 posts

Advertisement

MASSIVE Mastering

Re: EQ/compressor/EQ?

Postby Farview » January 6th, 2015, 7:38 am

Sure, whatever works. The necessity of the added EQ after the compressor depends on how hard you are compressing.

Since high end doesnt have as much energy as low end, you can usually get away with adding highs before the compressor without it affecting how the compressor reacts. ( obviously depending on the frequency and the amount)

Corrective EQ before the compressor, shaping EQ after.
Jason "Jay" Walsh
www.farviewrecording.com

MASSIVE Mastering likes this post.
Farview

Liked in: 113 posts

Postby ditto » January 6th, 2015, 11:40 am

I think I don't get the difference between corrective and shaping EQ. For me, EQ's about achieving separation, so that things are more clearly distinctly heard. And also about making some things more 'clearly distinctly heard' than others (making it brighter, for instance). Whatcha think?
I am all about the clean install. CF

May I ask what a skippy is??? Michiemasha
ditto

Liked in: 93 posts

Postby Farview » January 6th, 2015, 12:55 pm

Interesting way of looking at it. I do that too, once I'm in mixing mode.

Before that, I will see if there is anything annoying or unnecessary in the sound and deal with that.

If you generally do electronic music, you might not run into some problems that happen micing things up. Things like rumble, proximity effect, rattles,etc...

The other 'corrective' things are things like you described, like stuff that will affect how a compressor reacts.
Jason "Jay" Walsh
www.farviewrecording.com
Farview

Postby Farview » January 6th, 2015, 4:27 pm

I guesw to more directly answer your question, corrective EQ is when you need to 'fix' something individually. shaping EQ is what you do to fit it in the mix.

Technically, both definitions could be interchangable, so I'm not sure how to better explain it.
Jason "Jay" Walsh
www.farviewrecording.com
Farview

Postby J-Bot » January 6th, 2015, 11:16 pm

I kinda view it the same way Jay does. Corrective EQ, is where I go in and use EQ to surgically remove or try to mitigate issues with some anomaly that doesn't belong in the track.
Once the editing, er, surgery, is done I'll start the actual mixing process where I think about compression and colorful/balancing EQ to create separation and well, get the tracks to mix well.

EQ, boosting or cutting frequencies is shaping a sound, period. It's all shaping. The difference between editing/correction and mixing/balancing is how you use the shaping. Narrow/wide/how much.

You could also think of it as detailing vs. big picture or blending or shading. For editing/corrective shaping/EQ, you're focusing in on specific points with problems or specific problems affecting the whole track that need correction or removal. With the big picture, you're looking at the whole track/instrument and how it sits in the mix with everything else around it, so you have to look at it as a whole.

I don't know if I did any better at defining the differences, heh.
"Whatever you do, make good art." -- Neil Gaiman
J-Bot

Liked in: 96 posts

Return to Mixing - Technique, Hardware, Software, etc.