Room mic panning on e.guitar amp

Putting all those sounds together -- Plugs and processing, effects, busses, aux sends, etc.

Room mic panning on e.guitar amp

Postby SBENSH MUSIC » November 4th, 2014, 8:28 am

In order to make full use of my spacious live room (10m x 17m x 5m height) I tend to put an extra room mic on every electric guitar recording. When it comes to mixing, how's the best way to pan the room mic sound in comparison with the close mic of the amp?

I know this can be a subjective matter, but I'd appreciate any views / opinions on it.

Diolch (Thanks)
SBENSH MUSIC

Liked in: 3 posts

Advertisement

Tyler Acoustics

Re: Room mic panning on e.guitar amp

Postby MASSIVE Mastering » November 4th, 2014, 10:00 am

Totally dependent on the mix. I suppose I'd probably start with it panned away equally from the source just to see how it sits but after that, anything goes...
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering, LLC - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA
MASSIVE Mastering

Liked in: 163 posts

Postby SBENSH MUSIC » November 4th, 2014, 10:28 am

Thanks MM,

Yes I've tried that... without drums, it gives a nice airy mellow sound to the guitar and gives it stereo balance. I've also tried it panned on the same side as source... but the mix then feels as if it needs a 'room sound' opposite to balance. But as you say, "...anything goes!"

In a full band mix (drums, bass, acoustic git, e.rhythm) where do you put your guitars, generally? I tend to put them 10oclock / 2oclock with a lead guitar at 3 / 4 o clock (with the room mic on lead panned opposite). But I lay my drum overheads here too... sometimes they clash. Should I go more wide with the lead / or with the overheads? To give more 'breathing space' (I also have two rooms on drums, panned full stereo).
SBENSH MUSIC

Postby Farview » November 4th, 2014, 10:55 am

I always double the rhythm parts and pan them wide. Then I put everything else somwhere inside that. overheads are panned wide as well, but I don't rely on the overheads for the whole sense of the kit, they are more cymbals and air.

Acoustic guitars are always recorded in stereo, so I have the option of panning those mics wide to create a rhythm bed, or turning one off and just place it in a less prominant spot.

Leads are generally treated the same as vocals, right up the middle, unless they are underneath the vocals. In that case, they will be panned to one side or the other and balanced with something else.
Jason "Jay" Walsh
www.farviewrecording.com
Farview

Liked in: 113 posts

Postby SBENSH MUSIC » November 4th, 2014, 1:20 pm

Thanks Farview,

I have gone into the habit of panning my drum overheads 9 / 3 o clock and my drum room mics fully wide. I get a good sound with drums alone, but OH's sometimes clashes with other instruments in the same area when I bring them up. Should I pan OH's wide with room mics? In order to give other instruments 'breathing space'?
SBENSH MUSIC

Postby tenchijin2 » November 4th, 2014, 1:53 pm

SBENSH MUSIC wrote:Thanks Farview,

I have gone into the habit of panning my drum overheads 9 / 3 o clock and my drum room mics fully wide. I get a good sound with drums alone, but OH's sometimes clashes with other instruments in the same area when I bring them up. Should I pan OH's wide with room mics? In order to give other instruments 'breathing space'?

You should do whatever serves the mix. If you find it clashing then yes, you need to change it. But what works for one song may not work for another. The trick is using your judgment. Never judge the sound of the instrument alone- it's irrelevant. You need to make decisions strictly in the mix context.

Aric
tenchijin2

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby SBENSH MUSIC » November 4th, 2014, 6:04 pm

Yup, agree Aric.

Here's a song I recorded. Open to scrutiny / suggestions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVewHwIWMo0
SBENSH MUSIC

Postby Farview » November 5th, 2014, 8:20 am

I pan my overheads wide, but I really don't pan my toms much. (depending on how many there are) So most of my width comes from the overheads. I don't do room mics, but when I get other people's recordings to mix, I use the room mics as reverb. Assuming there are two room mics, I will pan them wide as long as it is balanced that way. But even at that, I generally slamm it with a compressor and just use it as reverb.
Jason "Jay" Walsh
www.farviewrecording.com

SBENSH MUSIC likes this post.
Farview

Liked in: 113 posts

Return to Mixing - Technique, Hardware, Software, etc.