Muddy, worry about it.

Putting all those sounds together -- Plugs and processing, effects, busses, aux sends, etc.

Muddy, worry about it.

Postby cmreal04 » August 5th, 2014, 6:11 pm

Hey guys I'm working on an EP right now that's been coming along nicely, but one track in particular seems muddy in the mid range. All my tracks are completely dry (effect free) as I plan to let the studio handle that after vocals are added, better off letting the pros handle it. So my question is:

This "mid muddy track" that I really like, do I stop obsessing over the fact and concentrate on the vocal, or do I need to get this sorted out on my own, before I get to the studio?
cmreal04

Liked in: 11 posts

Advertisement

Blue Bear Sound - Bear Mixing

Re: Muddy, worry about it.

Postby AwwDeOhh » August 7th, 2014, 12:06 am

If there's too many instruments playing the same register, that's a recipe for mud.
Without hearing what's actually going on, some basic suggestions:
  • try moving one of the clashing instruments to another register (octave)
  • try inverting/augmenting some chords of the offending instrument(s)
  • Maybe they (offending instruments) don't need to play at the same time.. leave one verse to one, another to another or similar
  • mute! This can be the hardest thing to do when close to a project. Sometimes it's hard to put on the producers cap and say 'this isn't adding to the whole', but sometimes it's the most effective. Don't force a spot for something, if it works without it, does it really need to be there?
One, some or all of these things may be required (or none at all), but i would certainly try to work out these things out beforehand before spending quality studio time tinkering with basic structure. That said, are you sure it's not just your own room that's presenting acoustical problems?
~If you are not Failing, you are not Succeeding!
... Failure breeds success... Don't be afraid to fail-- it is how we learn and grow!
Now... Go go out there and lose one for me, son!

Timboalogo likes this post.
AwwDeOhh

Liked in: 106 posts

Postby Timboalogo » August 7th, 2014, 9:37 am

Great suggestions, I'll try them too!
Timboalogo

Liked in: 80 posts

Postby cmreal04 » August 8th, 2014, 5:56 pm

Ughhh, yeah your right, I'll have to try a couple of these things. I'm thinking it might need another variation with the strings/ adjustments...
cmreal04

Liked in: 11 posts

Postby fretbuzz » September 21st, 2014, 3:55 am

Not sure whether this might help you. I remember posting it in the other place.

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn ... isplay.htm
Carpe Diem - or just have a day off.
Disclaimer: There is a good chance the advice I give you may be wholly inaccurate.

2 people like this post.
fretbuzz

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby Jowboy » September 21st, 2014, 4:45 pm

Plus 1 on Aww-De-Oh's suggestions, but are you sending them stereo mixes or are you going to send them the stems? If the latter, i might just finish and then see if they can do something. If the former, you should probably fix it now. I only say this in the interest of production. Additionally, sometimes an extra set of ears can be the difference, often leading to the classic, "Doh! Why didn't I think of that?" moment. Of course, you will also be spending $$$ vs time if you allow them to fix things.
Channeling the wisdom of others since 1974.
www.montanaknites.com My personal website w/ music, blog, etc.
Jowboy

Liked in: 37 posts

Postby AwwDeOhh » September 22nd, 2014, 12:27 pm

I'd like to add EQ to my list of things.
See (hear) where the clash is and carve a lot out, then narrow down the carving so you're doing the least amount that works.
~If you are not Failing, you are not Succeeding!
... Failure breeds success... Don't be afraid to fail-- it is how we learn and grow!
Now... Go go out there and lose one for me, son!
AwwDeOhh

Liked in: 106 posts

Postby JET-Zet studio » October 11th, 2014, 2:21 pm

AwwDeOhh wrote:If there's too many instruments playing the same register, that's a recipe for mud.
Without hearing what's actually going on, some basic suggestions:
  • try moving one of the clashing instruments to another register (octave)
  • try inverting/augmenting some chords of the offending instrument(s)
  • Maybe they (offending instruments) don't need to play at the same time.. leave one verse to one, another to another or similar
  • mute! This can be the hardest thing to do when close to a project. Sometimes it's hard to put on the producers cap and say 'this isn't adding to the whole', but sometimes it's the most effective. Don't force a spot for something, if it works without it, does it really need to be there?
One, some or all of these things may be required (or none at all), but i would certainly try to work out these things out beforehand before spending quality studio time tinkering with basic structure. That said, are you sure it's not just your own room that's presenting acoustical problems?

Agreed. Plus a lot of things might be done on mixing - such as saturation of particular instruments with different modes of saturator to focus it on different freuencies bands which allow them to sit own places. Another thing is to figure out these tracks's place in space and apply corresponding EQing.
JET-Zet Mixing/Mastering.50%OFF for newcomers. Ableton,FL,PT services http://www.jetzetstudio.com/
JET-Zet studio

Liked in: 0 post

Return to Mixing - Technique, Hardware, Software, etc.