Headphones for mixing

Putting all those sounds together -- Plugs and processing, effects, busses, aux sends, etc.

Headphones for mixing

Postby 117Music » July 25th, 2014, 11:17 am

Don't start berating me just yet. I'm fully aware of the extravagant number of pitfalls associated with attempting "mixing on headphones" or whether it's even considered mixing at all. This is not at all a new topic for me. I assure you that I only bring it up as a matter of necessity, NOT preference.

I have just moved and unfortunately the new house does't really allow for a place to set up shop, even in a semi-home studio manner. I have been relegated to a roughly 5'x8' room, and even then, I would be forced to put the monitors on the long wall. Yes, everything has gone wrong here. I might be able to add a small amount of treatment, but even then, there isn't nearly enough space for enough treatment to make it manageable. Not to mention the sheer size of the room is a nightmare.

At this point, I'm already planning on downsizing my monitors from an 8" to something smaller, but even then, I'm going to have horrible issues. The next option to alleviate some of the room issues is to try to do a bit on headphones and reference it somewhere else when I can.

So we've established that this is a bad idea. Now I'm trying to make the most of a bad situation.

So, my question is......If you absolutely HAD to mix on a pair of headphones, what would they be? What out there has the most neutral and flat response? I don't particularly want to spend a grand on a pair of headphones, but I'll know I should probably step of from the AKG 240s that I have laying around now.

I appreciate your input. Thanks.
117Music

Liked in: 0 post

Advertisement

Blue Bear Sound - Bear Mixing

Re: Headphones for mixing

Postby MASSIVE Mastering » July 26th, 2014, 10:03 am

So, my question is......If you absolutely HAD to mix on a pair of headphones, what would they be?

Grado. Probably SR225's, but I don't know if it would be a significant step up from 125's.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering, LLC - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA
MASSIVE Mastering

Liked in: 163 posts

Postby 117Music » July 26th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Thanks, John.

There is a 225i and a 225e. Do you know of any difference other one being the newer version?

On a side note, I might have negotiated myself into a slight bigger space yesterday. Let's hope that works out.
117Music

Postby MASSIVE Mastering » July 26th, 2014, 3:59 pm

Ah - I guess the "E" series is the new kid.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering, LLC - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA
MASSIVE Mastering

Liked in: 163 posts

Postby gregwar » July 26th, 2014, 4:28 pm

I use beats by dre (originals not the new ones). I work on the road out of a backpack 2/3rds of the year and I'm not bringing monitors all across canada with me lol

I've built my studio around laptops since 2006, which means I can work on my porch, coffee shops, hotels, etc. been using beats by dre so long that I kinda know how it will translate plus I can check the tracks in my truck

I need the bass response and actually enjoy using them for rap lol

when I do get home I check everything on monitors that I trust. plus when I get the vocals the beat usually needs to be adjusted anyways (I don't like to mix the vocals and everything on headphones)

the drum sounds and synth sounds are fine because I can solo those tracks. reverb, eq, compression, etc is harder to do as I usually adjust them as the whole mix is playing but I can get in the right ball park some of the time

I do use reference mixes that were done by some of the most famous engineers and producers (gucci mane, lil wayne, kanye, game, ti, etc) especially with headphones but that's a personal preference and not everyone likes to use reference mixes
gregwar

Liked in: 16 posts

Postby 117Music » November 22nd, 2014, 7:08 pm

So, I've been looking a lot at the Senn HD650. Not cheap. Would have to wait a bit before I could justify that purchase. Being that they are 2.5 time the cost of the 225e, is worth the difference? Is it even a legitimate question? Or are they far beyond the point of diminishing return?
117Music

Postby Broadwood » November 26th, 2015, 12:17 pm

I can't praise the HD650's enough. They were recommended to me by an Abbey Road engineer and it took me a while to get them but i'm sure glad i did.
Broadwood

Return to Mixing - Technique, Hardware, Software, etc.