To change DAW or not…?

Putting all those sounds together -- Plugs and processing, effects, busses, aux sends, etc.

Re: To change DAW or not…?

Postby gregwar » May 17th, 2014, 3:43 pm

I stuck to logic 8 and only last year started with 9. I dither and procrastinate enough so adding a new daw to the mix could be terminal for my workflow lol

I have logic x since last summer and am just staring out with it now because I'm in between projects. linda.com has numerous tutorials could benefit someone new to logic x

opening legacy projects was a concern under mav but once it was working it just reminded me of how far we've come. you have to decide if it's worth the hassle as one day cubase 6.5 could just break and whether you need a contingency plan

you also have to decide if cross-platform is still important or not. reaper is cheap, cross platform and lots of people use it. I want to switch to pro tools some day but I'm way more likely to get a reaper file lol
gregwar

Liked in: 16 posts

Advertisement

MASSIVE Mastering

Postby Big Tim » May 17th, 2014, 4:06 pm

gregwar wrote:you also have to decide if cross-platform is still important or not. reaper is cheap, cross platform and lots of people use it. I want to switch to pro tools some day but I'm way more likely to get a reaper file lol
That's a very good point. I moved to a Mac laptop because it has compatible, built-in FW so I didn't have to replace my interfaces too. I wanted to remain portable but it's very hard to get functional, compatible FW on a PC laptop - even the custom music PC makers admit their FW busses are generally only good for HDDs and not Interfaces. But at some point, probably several years from now, I'm going to have to change or upgrade my interfaces, and who knows what will be the flavour of the day when that comes around? I'm also only 2 years down the line with the Mac and it's still well capable of the compute capacity I need, so I don't foresee changing it for a few years. But it's an expensive thing to buy into and I have no idea if I'll be able to buy a new one in a few years' time, and I may have to switch back to a Windows platform. It would suck to have moved from Cubase to Logic only to have to move back or to something else in a few years time. That said, the future appears to be mainly me doing recordings of my own bands and occasionally friends' bands, so I'm pretty much entertaining myself rather than setting up for business and pulling in files from lots of other sources.
"Anyone can be a wizard with a runic knife, but it takes skill to be one with an apple corer" - Terry Pratchett
Big Tim

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby JET-Zet studio » October 11th, 2014, 2:37 pm

I've worked with 5 DAWs before stopped my choice on fav one. They was Sound Forge (sucks), Acid Pro (mmm... pretty unconwenient as for me), FL studio, Pro Tools and Ableton. Well if we not include to DAWs list some very specific like Sound Forge early versions, Acid Pro and FL (which IMO is much not comfortable for pro level mixing though being liked by many producers) other well known such as Cubase, Logic and others are all great and which one to chose depends mostly on style of work.
JET-Zet Mixing/Mastering.50%OFF for newcomers. Ableton,FL,PT services http://www.jetzetstudio.com/
JET-Zet studio

Liked in: 0 post

Previous

Return to Mixing - Technique, Hardware, Software, etc.