NOOB needs help with Ableton sends

Putting all those sounds together -- Plugs and processing, effects, busses, aux sends, etc.

NOOB needs help with Ableton sends

Postby ulrichburke » February 17th, 2015, 7:24 pm

Dear Anyone.

NOOB ALERT on this, if it sounds like I flat don't know what I'm talking about you're absolutely right - I flat DON'T know what I'm talking about! I've looked in manual but this one's got me stumped.

I'm trying to get the hang of SEND effects (so please don't say 'just drop the effects inline!) OK. I've got 4 (for argument's sake) RETURN channels with effects on, all sopping wet, ad I want to send/control my VST instrument to three of them. Thing is, as far as I can see, the MIDI channel with the VST on has permanently only got TWO control buttons, marked A and B. So how the heck do you control more than two sends simultaneously? I thought if I set up more RETURN channels with effects on, I'd get more controller buttons but nope. It seems to be two buttons only.

Question 2. As I'm stuck with two controller buttons, I must only be able to use SEND effects in pairs, right? So how do I choose WHICH pair of effects to send the sound to at different parts of the track? For instance if I've got a guitar track and I want compression/flanging on it at one point, EQ and Reverb on it at another point, (working in pairs cos of the two control button limitation) how do I take control FROM the Compression/Flanging SEND channels and put it on the EQ and Reverb SEND channels at that point only in the track?

Basically what I'm asking, and I'll try to clarify if needed but I'm very puzzled myself, is how do you control multiple SENDS when you only ever seem to have two control knoibs on the MIDI channel (and only two on the RETURN track you're SENDing stuff to, but they don't ever seem to move, they seem to be decoration only.)

Yours feeling very lost

Chris.
ulrichburke

Liked in: 0 post

Advertisement

Blue Bear Sound - Bear Mixing

Return to Mixing - Technique, Hardware, Software, etc.