BALANCE vs UNBALANCED OUTPUTS

Putting all those sounds together -- Plugs and processing, effects, busses, aux sends, etc.

BALANCE vs UNBALANCED OUTPUTS

Postby JIMMYGJR60 » January 31st, 2015, 8:42 pm

I have a Boss AD-8 which is an acoustic guitar processor. The manual shows using the two unbalanced outputs for connection to a multi track recorder. The only use shown for the balanced outputs is to a mixer. Can you use the balanced outputs to connect from the processor to a MTR or is there a reason they insist that you use ONLY the unbalanced outputs for connection to a sound card or MTR? What's the difference?
JIMMYGJR60

Liked in: 1 post

Advertisement

MASSIVE Mastering

Re: BALANCE vs UNBALANCED OUTPUTS

Postby nitten » January 31st, 2015, 9:25 pm

Okay, so first thing first, you need to understand a couple of key things about signal flow.

First, in order for the signal to be balanced you need a balanced output, balanced cable and balanced input.
Second, in far most cases you can go from balanced to unbalanced without it causing any problems with the gear, but you need all parts to be balanced for the signal to stay balanced.

Based on the info you gave, i don't think you should have a problem, as long as your MTR or soundcard have a balanced input and you use a balanced cable.
Life is what we make it, i'm trying to make mine as fun as possible.

Always trying to be a better man today, then i where yesterday.
nitten

Liked in: 82 posts

Re: BALANCE vs UNBALANCED OUTPUTS

Postby Farview » February 1st, 2015, 1:20 am

The balanced output is line level. The unbalanced output is for connecting to a guitar amp.

As long as you put out the signal level your recorder needs, it doesnt matter if it is balanced or not. Use the balanced out to connect to your recorder if you wish.
Jason "Jay" Walsh
www.farviewrecording.com
Farview

Liked in: 113 posts

Return to Mixing - Technique, Hardware, Software, etc.