New guitar amp build thread to come...

Sometimes it's cheaper... Sometimes it's better... Sometimes it's the only way to get what you actually need.

New guitar amp build thread to come...

Postby jimtroll » November 15th, 2017, 4:32 am

Hi all,

I've decided to expand my tonal pallette and build a new guitar amp head.

Lately my musical interest has gone toward the stoner/doom metal genre. (Think heavier Black Sabbath, Sleep, Weedeater etc)

I'm not a gigging muso, but I sure like to get a great tone for recording.

I recently rediscovered a schematic for the classic Orange OR120 amp from the early 1970s.

It's a great sounding beastie but it's also 100 Wattsm and I don't want to go deaf grinding out sick riffs. Soooo, there's a clone cct someone's come up with that's a mere 20Watts output.

This is the one I'll build.

So, a little overview:
This amp has 2 12ax7 preamp tubes, and 2 6v6 power tubes.
This gives us 3 gain stages and a single triode for the phase inverter.
A pair of 6v6 tubes can get you roughly 20W output.
The power supply has a solid state rectifier and a series of resistor / capacitor filters.

The tone controls are a bass treble Baxandal network. There's also a presence control in a negative feedback loop to the phase inverter from the secondary side of the output transformer..

The most interesting feature of this amp is a rotary switch control which on the original amp is labeled F.A.C. (Frequency Attenuation Control or some such). It's an RC network which selectively rolls off low frequency signal. In a normal setting it rolls off everything below about 300Hz, but at the other extreme it lets everything above 15Hz hit the 3rd gain stage. This makes for a pretty sludgy sound. Ideal for Doom metal.

I'll post schematics etc once I get started. So far I've either got existing components (tubes and transformers), or got stuff on order. I aim to get this thing started after this Christmas.

Keep you posted, James.
jimtroll

Liked in: 2 posts

Advertisement

MASSIVE Mastering

Return to Do-It-Yourself (DIY)