Anyone Using a Newer Mac Pro in their Studio?

If you have no idea where your question even goes, it probably goes here. Post may be moved to a more appropriate forum at some point as the topic blooms.

Anyone Using a Newer Mac Pro in their Studio?

Postby Regulator » November 26th, 2016, 4:56 pm

Yeah, yeah, sure, its a "Goofy Newb" question (too funny!) . . . the former Studio-Central forum used to have its own designated area for discussion of Macs and PCs under its DAW and Recorders Section, but I guess computers aren't used in digital audio anymore?!@#$%&??

Any-who, please forgive the "newb" question, but does anyone here in the new and improved 'Recording Studio Central' use one or more of the newer MacPro desktops in their studio? I'm looking for product reviews from experienced users, and you wouldn't think it'd be a heavy-lift, but you'd be wrong! There's virtually 'nothing' out there in the way of MacPro reviews by audio professionals, or at least nothing that I can find. If you own or operate one, anything at all that you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Regulator

Liked in: 0 post

Advertisement

Tyler Acoustics

Re: Anyone Using a Newer Mac Pro in their Studio?

Postby Farview » November 27th, 2016, 9:43 am

I don't use Macs, but I have been hearing grumbling from the pro community that they are becoming cumbersome and harder to use for this sort of work.

There is a good explanation of this in the end rant of the last Tapeop magazine. (It may have been the one before last)

I know that doesn't help much. I'm pretty sure Massive has a mac in his right, maybe he will chime in.
Jason "Jay" Walsh
www.farviewrecording.com
Farview

Liked in: 113 posts

Postby Regulator » November 27th, 2016, 12:51 pm

Thanks Jay!

Yes, I'm hearing some of these subtle "grumblings" as well, but without much in the way of specifics. I've been using Macs exclusively for ten-years now, and using the very same (early) Mac Pro since 2008 without issue(s), but unfortunately, I'm facing a mandatory change here soon, and its the newer Macs that I'm concerned about. Seems like the earlier Mac Pro's (those like mine) were a 'mainstay' in an awful lot of audio settings 5-8 years ago, but I see little mention of the current (newer) rendition posted out there in the cosmos anywhere.
Regulator

Liked in: 0 post

Postby _controlfreak » November 27th, 2016, 5:39 pm

I recommend avoiding until the new iteration is released - Everyone's fingers are crossed for 2017. The biggest drawback of the current model is that it's essentially a 3-4 year old chipset chock full of "deprecated" interfaces (Thunderbolt).

There's an existing market/community in-place to overhaul the 2012 tower-style Mac Pros (CPU, PCIe storage, etc.). The Thermos form factor has little to no expandability, and increasing onboard storage isn't cost-effective; BTO or aftermarket. I'm also not a fan of the "Octopus" aesthetic the new Mac Pro forces people to adopt (100% outbound storage and peripherals).

So, earlier this year, for far less than the base config of a 2013 Thermos Mac Pro (yes, the 2013 MP is what Apple's selling today), I built a 4790K 32GB RAM 4X SSD + 2X HDD 980Ti PLUS a complementary/additional 4690 "node PC" to run headless via Vienna Ensemble Pro*. I still have and use (VEP/onstage) my 2012 Retina MBP, but Apple forced my hand on the PCs.

*As an aside, both boxes run OSX native/bare-metal, but this is the wrong forum for that...
My Music | The one thing that most imprisons a creative mind is a closed heart. ^_^
_controlfreak

Liked in: 100 posts

Return to Goofy Newb Stuff Area