Mix buss compression goofy newb style.

If you have no idea where your question even goes, it probably goes here. Post may be moved to a more appropriate forum at some point as the topic blooms.

Mix buss compression goofy newb style.

Postby wellingtonpass » July 26th, 2015, 2:41 pm

Ok guys here goes. This is about mixing fairly standard rock/pop Brit 70's style (T Rex,Bowie,Sweet etc...)

I've been recording on a stand alone "multitrack studio" 16 bit, "16 track" {8 tracks plus 4 stereo tracks) and then getting them mastered by someone else with fairly pleasing and sonically viable,realistic results,kept my levels low all the way,only compressed individual tracks with a Joe Meek via a send and applied no mix buss compression or limiting etc...They came back loud and clear from the mastering,more exciting and just....better. So far so good.

A few weeks ago I messed about with one of the mastering algorithms in the stand alone unit and began to mix according to what the algorithm was doing....it was loud,vulgar and exciting....so I edited out the maximizing paramaters,left in some subtle multiband and got less loud,less vulgar and only a bit less exciting,which made me think about getting into mix buss compression just to tickle that excitement factor in the mix before mastering.

You are all about to freak out now,I feel it across the Atlantic swelling like a huge wave. Here's my gear and my plan.

Zoom 1608, mild multiband compression on its own mastering algorithm,maximising and normalising etc...disengaged.
Audio leads out into an of ART VLA 11 and Behringer Sonic exciter (Aphex exciter rip off with bass enhancer) then into another stand alone recorder.

I was wondering how to optimise the chain of the exciter and regular compressor,whether the bit of multiband is a bad idea etc....

I'm not terribly concerned about the loss of resolution unless someone is going to scare me half to death with factoids as I've often sent audio cables around these desks with no problem "in the box" or once I hear the mastered audo.

Please bear in mind that I'm a hobbyist not seeking massive productions in terms of volume,just appropriately scaled,listenable mixes that translate well. So far I'm happy with what mastering has done for my stuff, I just feel like going a step further in generating a bit more mojo before I hand it over.

I realise that the gear is limited in its application but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation.
wellingtonpass

Liked in: 1 post

Advertisement

MASSIVE Mastering

Re: Mix buss compression goofy newb style.

Postby MASSIVE Mastering » July 26th, 2015, 5:54 pm

The only thing I can suggest up front is "less is more" -- And "do what the mix is asking you to do" --

That said - If the mix was asking for maul-the-band compression, I'd want to find out why and fix that first. Same with the sonic exciter.

But a bit (1 or 2dB) of buss compression is - well, pretty normal. And there are worse units than the VLA to do it.

THAT said - Make sure what you're doing is actually a benefit to the mix and not just something that's making it louder or pumpy... Crank it up till the neighbors call and it should sound great on its own. If it doesn't, step back and go from there.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering, LLC - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA

wellingtonpass likes this post.
MASSIVE Mastering

Liked in: 163 posts

Postby Jowboy » July 26th, 2015, 8:15 pm

wellingtonpass wrote:
You are all about to freak out now,I feel it across the Atlantic swelling like a huge wave...

That is awesome.
Channeling the wisdom of others since 1974.
www.montanaknites.com My personal website w/ music, blog, etc.

wellingtonpass likes this post.
Jowboy

Liked in: 37 posts

Postby wellingtonpass » July 27th, 2015, 1:07 am

Jowboy wrote:
wellingtonpass wrote:
You are all about to freak out now,I feel it across the Atlantic swelling like a huge wave...

That is awesome.

:D
wellingtonpass

Postby wellingtonpass » July 27th, 2015, 1:38 am

MASSIVE Mastering wrote:The only thing I can suggest up front is "less is more" -- And "do what the mix is asking you to do" --

That said - If the mix was asking for maul-the-band compression, I'd want to find out why and fix that first. Same with the sonic exciter.

But a bit (1 or 2dB) of buss compression is - well, pretty normal. And there are worse units than the VLA to do it.

THAT said - Make sure what you're doing is actually a benefit to the mix and not just something that's making it louder or pumpy... Crank it up till the neighbors call and it should sound great on its own. If it doesn't, step back and go from there.

Right,thanks. I'll skip the multiband and exciter to start with.

Hopefully I'll no longer fear "the glue" if I can get it right and appropriate the mix to the mix buss comp.

At the moment the new comp hasn't even been out of the box,I'm still staring at the back lit VU's on the picture to psyche myself up for 1973. It's working. :D
wellingtonpass

Return to Goofy Newb Stuff Area