how are pro's getting their samples?

If you have no idea where your question even goes, it probably goes here. Post may be moved to a more appropriate forum at some point as the topic blooms.

how are pro's getting their samples?

Postby scattrbrain » July 23rd, 2015, 12:21 am

i've been reading this: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/462345-when-does-sampling-drum-hits-become-illegal-2.html, and the matter is very confusing it seems. it's not the legal issues behind sampling that concern me as a hobbyist producer.. i'm just wondering how pro's are getting their quality, vintage sounding drum sounds if sampling any bit of a song is illegal? are they perhaps creating them? if so that's a process i'd like to learn about. i have the superior drummer plug-in but haven't been able to get, say, the kind of snare you'd find in an 80's drum break record using compression, eq, layering, reverb, etc so far.
scattrbrain

Liked in: 0 post

Advertisement

Tyler Acoustics

Re: how are pro's getting their samples?

Postby Farview » July 23rd, 2015, 2:09 am

I made all mine. I even sold sets of them for Drumagog.

No trick to it. Just get the drum, tune it, mic it up like you need to to get the sound you want, record it. Then process it.

It's just like you were recording a kit for an album, you're just recording hits instead of songs.
Jason "Jay" Walsh
www.farviewrecording.com
Farview

Liked in: 113 posts

Postby scattrbrain » July 23rd, 2015, 12:19 pm

cool thx for the reply. so far the processing "techniques" i've applied to my clean superior drummer snare samples haven't been yielding any usable sounds. i'm looking to make my snares sound like one in this track: https://m.soundcloud.com/bleep_bot/machinedrum-aeolia and could use some extra guidance/direction
scattrbrain

Postby J-Bot » July 23rd, 2015, 3:37 pm

I was watching a live stream of Weathervane Music here in Philly doing one of their Shaking Through sessions. For use with the memory map, they did sample the kit after the initial scratch tracks. With each drum they did 3 or 4 hits from hard to soft so they could map to velocity layers. Recording a few hits of the same drum with varying strength would be a good idea if you want any semblance of realism. Oh, they also sampled the same hits for both hands. I'm assuming this is to avoid the "machine gun" sound for repeated hits.
"Whatever you do, make good art." -- Neil Gaiman
J-Bot

Liked in: 96 posts

Postby Farview » July 23rd, 2015, 8:03 pm

Sounds like a popcorn snare. It's a little 12 inch snare tuned really high. I wouldn't assume that superior drummer sampled one of those. You aren't going to get a sample of a 14x6.5 inch Ludwig supraphonic to sound like that, no matter how much processing you do.

You have to start out with a sample of the correct instrument.
Jason "Jay" Walsh
www.farviewrecording.com

scattrbrain likes this post.
Farview

Postby scattrbrain » July 23rd, 2015, 8:23 pm

ohh ok. well, thx for that info farview. helpful nonetheless.
scattrbrain

Postby Farview » July 23rd, 2015, 9:51 pm

You could maybe try to pitch shift the snare sample you have up a bit, to get the right note. Then layer a sample with a slushy stainer, but EQ everything under 600hz out.

There are two parts to that snare. It's really high pitched and the springs are loose.

It is so much easier when you start out with a sample of the instrument you are trying to create.

If push comes to shove, these are the types of snares that Sam Ash sells for $75 on a regular basis. If you have a 58 and get one of those snares, you can make your own samples.
Jason "Jay" Walsh
www.farviewrecording.com
Farview

Postby ditto » July 23rd, 2015, 10:20 pm

scattrbrain wrote:ohh ok. well, thx for that info farview. helpful nonetheless.

It's the same old story. The more you do yourself, the better it sounds. Careful people say 'tends to sounds', but I'm less cautious.
I am all about the clean install. CF

May I ask what a skippy is??? Michiemasha
ditto

Liked in: 93 posts

Return to Goofy Newb Stuff Area