Backing Track software

If you have no idea where your question even goes, it probably goes here. Post may be moved to a more appropriate forum at some point as the topic blooms.

Backing Track software

Postby DarkWolf » April 6th, 2015, 3:59 pm

Hi,

My band uses backing tracks live. Currently we are using Ableton Live, but it's not quite up for the job as we'd like...

Currently we have one track that is a click track, and then single tracks for different instruments (synths, additional guitars etc). I really like the setup of Live - as it lets us play one song, and it will just queue up for the next song when we're done - so we're always just one hit of the keyboard away from starting the next song.

Our problem is that if we would, during rehearsal or in concert, for any reason want to start at a set place (refrain, solo, what have you...) we can't - at least not in session view. There's no way to add markers as far as I know. We would also like to add tempo and beat changes (which there are a lot of) - which only seams possible in arrangement view. This so we can have a pre-count click anywhere in the song - not just the one we recorded at the start of the song (we want to use the programs built in click instead of a recorded version). We also want to send MIDI changes during play.

So all of these seem possible in arrangement view, but arrangement view would mean we would have to do a lot more changes whenever we do changes to the set - also we like the session view of Live a lot for our use...

I bought and tried Mainstage 3, but this doesn't seem like a good solution - even if it's really nice for a lot of things (markers, synths, etc) I can't find any support for tempo and beat changes during a song. The manual says we can send tempo changes via MIDI, but that would just require more outboard gear - and does nothing for the beat.

I've looked at Maschine from NI, but I've only fiddled with it for about 30min at the store - seeing as there's no public demo(?) for it, but it doesn't seem quite right.

So - are we stuck with using Live in arrangement view (or another standard sequencer), or are there other programs that I could check out?

We're running on a MacBook Pro with a 2,2Ghz i7, 8GB RAM and a 240GB SSD.
DarkStudio

Tweak wrote:And I need samples of Gregorian nuns shouting "I got Blisters on Me Fingers!"
DarkWolf

Liked in: 4 posts

Advertisement

MASSIVE Mastering

Re: Backing Track software

Postby DarkWolf » April 12th, 2015, 1:56 pm

Looks like we're going to use Logic...
DarkStudio

Tweak wrote:And I need samples of Gregorian nuns shouting "I got Blisters on Me Fingers!"
DarkWolf

Liked in: 4 posts

Return to Goofy Newb Stuff Area