How to record directly from a preamp using a smartphone?

If you have no idea where your question even goes, it probably goes here. Post may be moved to a more appropriate forum at some point as the topic blooms.

How to record directly from a preamp using a smartphone?

Postby srix55 » March 5th, 2015, 2:25 am

I connected my HTC Desire android smartphone directly to the pre-amp-out jack of the amplifier of a public-address (PA) system for recording it. Even though the sound is recorded (used an app), I noticed that it is too loud & damaged. I read that it happens because smartphones are designed to work with electret condenser microphone inputs which are way too low compared to the output level of a preamp out jack. Is there a solution to get decent audio quality on my smartphone directly from preamp?
srix55

Liked in: 0 post

Advertisement

MASSIVE Mastering

Re: How to record directly from a preamp using a smartphone?

Postby nitten » March 5th, 2015, 5:21 am

I'm not sure, but i think it's an issue with the level of the input of the phone and output of the pre-amp not matching.

I think the easiest solution would be to use something like the iRig pre, which are designed for recording with smartphones/tablets.
Life is what we make it, i'm trying to make mine as fun as possible.

Always trying to be a better man today, then i where yesterday.
nitten

Liked in: 82 posts

Re: How to record directly from a preamp using a smartphone?

Postby Farview » March 5th, 2015, 11:03 am

Do you need the pa system? Assuming you do, is there an aux output? If there is, simply plug the phone into the aux output and turn up the aux send on the channel of the mixer the mic is plugged into. only turn it up anbout 1/4 of the way (9:00 if it's a knob)
Jason "Jay" Walsh
www.farviewrecording.com
Farview

Liked in: 113 posts

Return to Goofy Newb Stuff Area