help with acoustic treatment

If you have no idea where your question even goes, it probably goes here. Post may be moved to a more appropriate forum at some point as the topic blooms.

help with acoustic treatment

Postby AdrianStone » August 30th, 2014, 1:39 am

]My room is 12ft by 12 ft with 8 ft height. This is my parents home and I'm here for another two years while I'm in college. I have to work with what I got.

I currently only listen to my recordings with my Sony MDR-7506 headphones. I don't have studio monitors. After reading tweakz guide over and over I never got them realizing that my room without treatment wouldn't ever be as good as my headphones. So as far as treating my room for listening I'm a bit stumped. I have like 52 sheets of acoustic foam I scored for $50 bucks in my basement. I'm posting a picture of what my room looks likes. I have a Murphy bed in the corner of my room that I built ( Its a bed that pulls out from my wall) it has a queen sized 5 inch thick piece of foam as my bed. It's drilled into my wall. The murphy bed is 5ft 5 in (65 inches) width, 1ft 4 inches (16 inches ) depth, 7ft 1in (85 inch) height.

As for my desk right now its in the corner below my windows because I listen through my headphones. The speakers I do have are just aiwa cx-nhma86 which means some old stereo speakers I would never use to mix.

I plan on building a desk on wheels, so any ideas you guys have will work. Since I can just set down tape and Ill always know where to roll my future desk and monitors back into proper place for when I need to listen to recordings.

My goal is find the best place to set up a pair of studio monitors within my room and best position for my table and how to go about treating the room once I have the best spot.

I'm currently thinking about placing the desk facing the empty white wall but I don't know if my bed being to the left will be a issue. Another spot would be toward the middle where I have the black armoire. My room dimensions suck. Does the bed off set this in any way? since its mounted to the wall?. Any ideas from you guys would be so helpful.

My gear is:
One PreSonus FireStudio Mobile FireWire Audio Interface
One Alesis QX25 keyboard (it's a small one, 25 keys)
Two mics; Rode NT1A and Heil PR40
One pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones
And a Mackie 1402-VLZ3 14-Ch. Compact Recording/SR Mixer
One edirol R-09 recorder
One hackintosh I built, running mac mavricks with logic pro and studio one (I have plenty of storage and ram)
Attachments
angle view of windows with out bed.jpg
angle view of windows with out bed.jpg (146.49 KiB) Viewed 653 times
my room facing window and cloest.jpg
my room facing window and cloest.jpg (89.91 KiB) Viewed 653 times
my room facing door view.jpg
my room facing door view.jpg (101.21 KiB) Viewed 653 times
Last edited by AdrianStone on August 30th, 2014, 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
AdrianStone

Liked in: 1 post

Advertisement

MASSIVE Mastering

Re: help with acoustic treatment

Postby AdrianStone » August 30th, 2014, 2:05 am

some more pictures of my room
Attachments
DSC_0148.jpg
bed down
DSC_0148.jpg (217.35 KiB) Viewed 652 times
DSC_0147.jpg
facing door and bed
DSC_0147.jpg (226.41 KiB) Viewed 652 times
angle view of my room.jpg
angle view of my room.jpg (149.73 KiB) Viewed 652 times
AdrianStone

Postby AdrianStone » August 30th, 2014, 2:07 am

the rest of the room
Attachments
DSC_0152.jpg
wall in-between my bed and dresser
DSC_0152.jpg (173.73 KiB) Viewed 652 times
DSC_0150.jpg
DSC_0150.jpg (254.62 KiB) Viewed 652 times
DSC_0151.jpg
where my desk is
DSC_0151.jpg (235.84 KiB) Viewed 652 times
AdrianStone

Postby J-Bot » August 30th, 2014, 11:14 pm

Hmm, that's going to be a tricky one to work with. Is that murphy bed able to be put on another wall, or is it built into that wall? I know some of them can be moved or repositioned. I'm wondering if it would fit between the window and the closet door, or on the window wall next to the window where the cabinets currently are? And then maybe move the cabinets between the window/closet door? That could be a start. Then again, depending on the density and the material in the mattress, it might -Might!- work somewhat as a bass trap.

Desk on the bare wall in the middle is what I would do. Your chair/listening position should be 38% the length away from that wall. I would then build bass traps to fill the corners. Something like I'm doing, which is building soffit columns out of Roxul Safe N Sound. Cutting the Roxul batts up will be messy and unpleasant, but then you can just wrap them in fabric, and stack them in the corners. Easy, and cheap to do, and will probably help quite a bit. Some people build frames for their columns to help the soffit hold its shape, but that's up to you.

However, it's probably also a good idea to not do this blindly. I would download a room measurement program like Room EQ Wizard, which you can find and download over on home theater shack. It's a pretty versatile measurement tool. I would position your furniture where you want/need it to go, and then set the mic at the listening position, calibrate the settings in REW, and then have it do the measurement which it does by using a sine wave frequency sweep. Of course, you'll need to have your speakers positioned (equilateral triangle, or at least isosceles triangle with your head/listening position, which should be 38% of the room length. Of course, (and this is why square rooms are particularly bad) your head will still be at 50% of the room width, which is the same as the length, and technically 50% of the room length/exact center of the room is acoustically the worst spot. I don't know which mics you have, but try to pick one with a relatively flat curve, or maybe just get an SPL mic from radioshack.

If we can see what the frequency response graph and the waterfall decay times for the low frequencies look like, we can make better suggestions as to what kind, and how much trapping and absorption you'll need. Or at least get you into the ballpark.

That aside, if you can move the murphy bed to free up the corner its in, that would help. There's not much you can do about the windows/doors, but bass/low frequencies will generally go right through them, especially if it's a typical hollow door. But yeah, if you can free up those two corners on the bare wall, and fill them with bass traps, it will help. You might need more than your average trapping, but it depends on what frequencies are the major problems. Due to where my electrical outlets and the radiator are, I can only make my columns about 15 1/4 inches wide (which is the width of the batts I got, but they make larger batts as well) If you can make enough room, you might consider 2 ft. wide columns, which is what AWD originally recommended to me. Otherwise, you could try making a 3 ft. wide panel 6" or so thick, and have it straddle the corner.

Another thought, is if you can't do the wall to wall corners or too much crap is in the way to do those corners, you might consider hanging/mounting traps against the wall/ceiling corners. However, they'll probably need to be fairly thick (6 inches or more), and a good 3 ft. wide or so, and you'll probably need to build wood frames so you can mount them properly. They shouldn't weigh more than 30 Lbs with the frames.

In small rooms like yours and mine, low frequencies tend to be the vast majority of the problem when it comes to listening. After the bass traps are in place, you need to find where the primary reflection points are. Basically, sit in your listening position, and have someone move a mirror along the wall. When you see a speaker in the mirror from your listening position, that's a place to put a broadband absorption panel. This needs to be done along the side walls, front wall (if possible) the back wall, and the ceiling.

I'm sure there's a lot of detail and minutia that I'm missing or forgetting, but someone else can fill in the gaps. That should get you started at least, though. Hope it helps.
"Whatever you do, make good art." -- Neil Gaiman
J-Bot

Liked in: 96 posts

Postby AdrianStone » August 31st, 2014, 12:16 pm

Thanks so much for the reply.
Well I rather keep the bed where it is since its already drilled into the wall. It doesn't fit between the window and the closet that was the first place I wanted to place the bed but the bed was to big. I don't mind just building a long bass trap that could rest against the beds corner when I need to use the speakers. I could build four of them and just rest them on all corners. Would this work?
I'll check to see my frequencies.
For the most part I'm not worried about the other furniture I can position them however I want since I plan on placing my furniture on wheels. Though I'll check and figure out a def position for them for when I listen
AdrianStone

Postby AdrianStone » November 15th, 2014, 11:08 pm

Hey just updating I haven't been on in little while been busy with classes. I went ahead and got the sound absorption sheets they work really well. My goal was to reduce noise coming in an out and they did that well. I doubled layered the wall I needed to be muffled down (I might triple layer if I still hear nosies coming from that wall. and placed another double layer on the wall near my windows and I hung another double layer in front of my door. I changed out my doors and got a solid core door and sealed it up around the corners with a door seal kit and the bottom (the door actually did wonders thanks for the suggestion). I still have another 4X8 sheet and three 7X3.5 white sheets so I'll see how I incorporate those. I might add clips in ceiling to hanging them up to cover my wardrobe since I haven't placed the wardrobe on wheels yet. It'll help break up the space. I'll add another in front of my bed and use it to record vocals. I also got rubber 3/4 in thick mats for the floor. I'll post pictures up later of how it looks, i'll do a sound test too once i'm over this fever I have. I want to note these sheets don't do anything about bass (low frequency) but thats ok; its only for high and mids and thats what I needed it for. Plus they are not meant to block sound that why I double layered to just reduce high and mids. Last night my brother threw a party and I went in my room to sleep, had class in the morning, with the sheets on the walls I only heard a faint sound as if the tv was on (there was a ton of people and loud music).
AdrianStone

Postby hedgewallace » September 25th, 2017, 5:56 am

Hi, what about the bedding?
Protection!
hedgewallace

Liked in: 0 post

Return to Goofy Newb Stuff Area