Rough demo recording:

Post links to files here for critique, assistance, etc. Please try to keep any BSP (Blatant Self-Promotion) to a minimum. ONLY files YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO POST please. AND RETURN THE FAVOR -- If you're going to stop by for opinions, share yours with others also.

Rough demo recording:

Postby J-Bot » July 12th, 2017, 3:01 am

So, it's been a bit quiet around here. We (me and the other two guys) recorded a rough demo of my song, Children of Pripyat back in April.

I'm temporarily uploading it onto soundcloud, but I'l probably take it down after several of my friends and acquaintances have had a chance to hear it.

It's a bit rough, performance is a bit loose, but not meant to be anything other than showing a bit of what we're up to.

All of us (guitar, keys, bass) were going direct into the board. Tom re-tracked the bridge and the ending at his place through his amp, so it had a much different character. I tried to kind of get them in the same ballpark tone wise, but left the hook/verse/chorus guitar back in the mix, while the bridge solo and ending are more forward.

I used Helian 3rd Bass to beef up the bass player a bit. There are some problems with the word sync in his setup, so there was some crackle that sounds a bit like audio dropout in places. There were also issues with it on the guitar and the organ. It's most obvious in one particular spot coming up to the bridge, but there might be others that I didn't notice. Not really much I can do about it. Once he hits the bridge, he switches to a slow envelop filter on his bass, and leaves it through to the end of the song. He was going to go back and redo the bass work, but after I did the mix, he said if it fits, then that's fine too.

I recorded my VR-09 at his place, but also re-tracked the keys on the bridge here at my home studio, and also corrected some mistakes near the end. I liked the dirty organ patch I came up with at the session, so I saved it to reuse at home. (I really need to get a Neo Ventilator II at some point) To try to avoid competing for space with the bass and guitar (the original song idea doesn't have keys or organ in it) I used Nasty DLA to create a panned delay that kind of wraps around the mix, leaving the middle open for the rest of the instruments. (bass is panned a little left, guitar a little right, vocals near center). It sounds decent to me, but it might be more of a subjective thing.

The original song didn't have a keys part really, so I basically play along with the bass and guitar, just filling out the sound and adding a little character and interest in places.

The vocals are me recorded through my SE2200A MK II LDC mic here at home, and we just used the pre recorded vocal and the Jamstix drums as the click/guide tracks.

Anyway, it is what it is, and I think I did okay with it. Sounds good on my monitors, headphones, and quite good in the car (2017 Elantra GT with Infinity sound system). My brother listened to it over his computer speakers and thought it sounded good. But yeah, not really meant to be pristine quality, just something to show people what we're up to.

https://soundcloud.com/j-bot-1/children-demomix
"Whatever you do, make good art." -- Neil Gaiman

jimtroll likes this post.
J-Bot

Liked in: 96 posts

Advertisement

Blue Bear Sound - Bear Mixing

Re: Rough demo recording:

Postby J-Bot » December 1st, 2017, 1:02 am

FWIW, we do have a proper singer now for a couple months, so we are recording some new demos with her in mind. This song actually got reworked and is in a lower key than what I played and sang in. I'm just waiting for the bass parts, and I'll try to do the mixes justice (we're recording 3 demos).
"Whatever you do, make good art." -- Neil Gaiman

jimtroll likes this post.
J-Bot

Liked in: 96 posts

Re: Rough demo recording:

Postby jimtroll » December 11th, 2017, 8:31 am

I like the general direction you're going in. It'd be great to hear how it turns out.
jimtroll

Liked in: 2 posts

Return to The Listening Room