Basic Rules and Stuff

If you've never been here, this would be a good place to start.

Basic Rules and Stuff

Postby MASSIVE Mastering » April 2nd, 2013, 1:07 am

We want this to be as cool as its namesake, but it's sort of a "benevolent dictatorship" if you know what we mean...

Promotion is one thing -- BSP (Blatant Self Promotion) is another.

SPAM -- Don't even try it.

Cracked / stolen / otherwise "non-kosher" software (or hardware for that matter) -- Just don't post about it. Don't ask questions about it. Don't ask where to get it or post where to find it. An incredibly low tolerance here for such matters. We know software piracy is huge and we don't expect to put an end to it. But don't expect us to help you with it.

Keep the language clean.

Be cool to each other and don't be an a--hole.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering, LLC - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA
MASSIVE Mastering

Liked in: 163 posts

Advertisement

MASSIVE Mastering

Re: Basic Rules and Stuff

Postby elperuano » April 28th, 2013, 1:05 am

What's our policy on links to gear? I'm incredibly used to posting only to zzounds.
elperuano

Liked in: 1 post

Postby MASSIVE Mastering » April 28th, 2013, 9:23 am

At this point? As long as it's "just a link" (not a referral link or whatever they call 'em), I don't particularly care. I suppose that could change at some point, but it won't be today...
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering, LLC - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA
MASSIVE Mastering

Liked in: 163 posts

Postby gregwar » May 31st, 2013, 4:34 am

MASSIVE Mastering wrote:"non-kosher" hardware

i was thinking of posting a couple links to 'remakes' of vintage synths. one is a remake of an arp 2600 (the ttsh) and another the 'phutney' a remake of the ems synthi. there are also mic diy topics (diy u87 for example) and outboard compressors, etc that fill most diy forums, or in this case sub-forums

in some cases like the serge/cgs stuff there's an explicit license agreement and getting the pcb from cgs is ok because ken presumably gives some of the proceeds to rex (or something, its licensed anyways) but others like all the 1176 clones are kind of an unknown to me. i presume they either fly under the radar or are slightly modified circuits (thus not violating the 'word' but possibly the 'spirit' of the rules here)

in the case of cgs or the neuron the original developer(s) are still around and fully endorses the diy approach but often times, like in the case of arp i think the guy is like 88 years old and may not be on twitter. so anyways, some clarification on the rules would be nice as diy is something i've been getting into in the last 2 years and i would like post about it.

WAR
gregwar

Liked in: 16 posts

Postby AwwDeOhh » May 31st, 2013, 8:04 pm

In the case of 1176 clones and the like, i believe (but could be wrong) that since they were originally made in the 60's, that the patent has since expired, paving the way for sound-alike clones (as long as it doesn't infringe on copyright or trademark stuff...which is why only licensed versions have the same face-plate)
~If you are not Failing, you are not Succeeding!
... Failure breeds success... Don't be afraid to fail-- it is how we learn and grow!
Now... Go go out there and lose one for me, son!
AwwDeOhh

Liked in: 106 posts

Return to ANNOUNCEMENTS and such