remote recording over the internet

Dealing with duplication, replication, distribution - Contracts and contacts, radio, etc.

remote recording over the internet

Postby gousterman » January 12th, 2016, 6:57 pm

Since I'm new here I'd just like to say hi and that I've been writing and recording folk - Americana songs for approximately 15 years. Not knowing where to post this question I am posting it in my introduction. The costs of studio time have become cost prohibitive at least for me and I've been looking into remote recording which has it's pros and cons but is worth exploring I think.
This is a new way of recording for me so I’m just putting this question out there and hope someone can give me feedback or point me in the right direction.
I am interested in working with a music producer-engineer that can record my songs by remote from their home or professional studio. I have a DAW and record my acoustic guitar and vocals separately or mixed on pro tools 11.
I would like to work with someone who can produce and add instrumental tracks both digitally and/or live instruments (fiddle, electric guitar etc) and mix and master the song. We could work together to arrange the songs. I can send the files via dropbox.
I'm hoping to be able to record via the internet with someone who would be interested in the folk Americana songs I write. If I can upload a song to see if there would be interest I can supply a link to those that may be interested. I hope I'm on the right track -no pun intended ! Thank you...
gousterman

Liked in: 0 post

Advertisement

MASSIVE Mastering

Re: remote recording over the internet

Postby Farview » January 13th, 2016, 9:09 am

That is a pretty common thing to do. The biggest hurdle is finding the right people to collaborate with. Unfortunately, you may have to find a forum with a larger community in order to find the right people.
Jason "Jay" Walsh
www.farviewrecording.com
Farview

Liked in: 113 posts

Postby Timboalogo » January 13th, 2016, 1:04 pm

I've done this in the past, Walt, it can be fun and it can be a pain in the butt. Usually it's a couple (or more) of hobbyists who get together - I used to play with a bass player in the US and a drummer in Scotland and put together some arrangements.

Try googling "music collaboration" or "online music collaboration" ...

Good luck,
Timbo
Timboalogo

Liked in: 80 posts

Postby J-Bot » January 15th, 2016, 2:36 am

I've done this once or twice with some people back when Home Recording Connection used to be more busy. (Seriously that place hasn't had much activity in a long while....don't know what happened)

There was no real heavy emphasis on structure, and they were purely instrumental, so it was like a collaborative jam session. It was also a bit of an experiment just to see how everything would turn out.

It was fun, but things did move at a snail's pace as everyone's schedules were different, and it was a matter of finding time to sit down and record several takes. I think they both took a few months to get done.
"Whatever you do, make good art." -- Neil Gaiman
J-Bot

Liked in: 96 posts

Return to The Business of Music